Spring Growth

Spring Growth

Thursday, May 15, 2008

peonies, strawberries, and lillies

Planting. That's what May is all about on a vegetable farm. I believe that we have planted something everyday for the last month. Yesterday the crew and I planted 200 feet of red and pink peonies, and 200 feet of lillies. I have visions of beauty in my mind. Earlier this week we planted another 2000 strawberry plants - those will bear next Spring. This year's strawberries are looking great - the early variety is covered in sweet white blossoms. I look at them and my mind turns all those blossoms in to bright juicy strawberries. This weekend Paul and I planted 900 pounds of seed potatoes in one of the back fields by hand. Whew! That took about a day and a half. The potatoes patch look seriously large to me. At least its the biggest patch I've ever grown. Last week we all finished up planting the 2 big new greenhouses. The peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, and basil are growing well inside. We still have the little house to plant, but we all needed a break from that kind of work.
The rain last night was welcome. We could use some more of it - we've been irrigating every day for the past couple weeks.
Until next time,
Evangeline

No comments: